Home Care verses Assisted Living
For example, if the family hires an individual, they become the employer of that individual, subject to all federal and state withholding taxes including income taxes, federal unemployment taxes, Social Security and Medicare taxes to name a few. Consider the lack of training regarding independent senior home care providers. The minimum standard for training set by our company includes special training in Dementia. Our caregivers are given specific dos and don’ts along with signing an “Agreement of Standards”; which the unqualified, but nice lady from the church won’t have. Also if the church lady can’t come for whatever reason, who will provide the service you need?
Given this scenario, one can readily see that contracting with a licensed senior home care provider with high standard is the safest way to go when care is needed in the home.
How do you determine if a senior home care agency is a high standard provider? You must assess many important factors. First, what is their background screening process? This should include national criminal history, pending problems from the Wanted Person’s Watch List, Government Sanctions for fraudulent or violent behaviors, the National Sex Offenders Data Base, the Terrorist Watch List, Inspector General’s lists of pending arrests and investigation that the FBI background check won’t show and the motor vehicle reports. Look at relevant employment history and identify if any restrictions have been lodged against the caregiver.
Next, how do you determine if a caregiver is proficient in the skills required to do the job? In other words, is the client the same, doing better or doing worse since the last visit? By contracting with a licensed senior home care company with quality credentials, the family need not worry about the liability of social security taxes, or any of the other problems associated with directly hiring workers. Yes, hiring a quality home care company costs more than hiring a care provider directly. But why would anyone take the extreme chances with bringing in a care provider into their home without the layers of protection afforded through licensed home care companies? The risks are more than anyone should take on when providing for your loved one’s care.
Beyond that you get:
- Personalized cooking-what you want the way you want it and when you want it.
- You live in your own home and therefore maintain the equity in your home (and home prices in the Tampa Bay region have hit bottom and will increase in value).
- One on one care with your care tailored to what you need. You bond with the caregiver and enjoy their company.
- Same caregiver/s all the time. This is a critical factor in achieving continuity of care and a high level of comfort.
- Phones answered 24 hr 7 days a week.
- Transportation when you want it and to anywhere you want to go: shopping, the beach, the mall, etc.—even just to drive around for the sights.
- If you’re not up to grocery shopping, the caregiver will do it for you.
- Maintain the current friends and relationships you’ve cultivated over the years in your community.
- No upfront fees of hundreds of thousands of dollars
- Change agencies or caregivers at your option without any penalties
- Never be neglected or have to put up with foul smells or unpleasant roommates as you become less able to handle everyday activities
- Don’t have to worry about the Assisted living facility not being properly staffed or maintained, shutting down or going into bankruptcy.
- Lower cost
- You don’t have to move!
- 24 hour 7 days a week back-up is available.
- The caregiver can accompany you on vacation.